Sunday, August 06, 2006

Power to the Weak

I know the Bible says not to worry but I am worried. We are praying, but then everything I think that we are supposed to do, does not work out. I can't figure out if I am not hearing God, if He is not speaking, or what. It is a dark time. We know that God is there, but when will He "show up"? After two years of constant struggle, I am at the end of my rope. But, then I read Job and I see there is more rope. It could be so much worse. I should be thankful that we have what we do.

But, I still cant help but wonder what in the world we are supposed to do.

Right now, I read a Psalm and John 13-14 almost every day. Yesterday, I was flipping channels and saw the Martha Bowman church service on. Since I am studying church and churches these days, I decided to take a look. The first thing he did, which seems absent in most of today's churches, is read the Bible. Not just one verse but many. (I wonder what would happen if churches quit preaching and trying to come up with illustrations? Instead, just read the Bible and maybe throw in a comment or two here and there.)

Anyway, he read Isaiah 40:18-31. It was like God speaking directly to me. Well, most of the passage is God speaking directly...

Then I get up this morning, turn on my computer, and open up my home page on the internet. On it, there is a verse-of-the-day. Today's was, 1st Peter 5:6-7. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. The first part, I think I am doing. The last part, I apparently don't know how. I feel anxious.

So, I look at my Quote-of-the-Day. It said Man does not live by a turkey in every oven or a color TV set in every home. Man lives by faith and hope and love, by the star on the horizon, by the trumpet that will not call retreat. - E. Merrill Root
I would like to retreat. I sometimes wish there were a way to. Well, I guess I dont really want to retreat, I am just tired and exhausted. I don't feel like I have a choice but to give up. But 'man lives by faith, hope, and love'. I feel loved, but faith and hope seem quite depleted. I remember that Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. And, that we actually live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. But, I will have to look up a few verses about hope.

I said a little prayer, grabbed my Bible, and turned to Isaiah 40. I read it and this jumped out:
27 ¶ Why do you say, O Jacob, And speak, O Israel: "My way is hidden from the LORD, And my just claim is passed over by my God"?
28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.
29 He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength.

I have definitely said (and am currently saying) in so many words, that my way is hidden from the LORD (or at least seems that way), and my just claim is passed over by my God.

So, how do I obtain this power to the weak and strength to those who have no might? Just believe? Just receive? Ask for it? Or, is it already within? Maybe I will do all these things to make sure I have got it covered. Then maybe I won't worry.

And, maybe God is working much more than I will ever realize

No comments: