Sunday, September 16, 2007

Blessed...Pt 2 (Psalms 1)

Still working through a study at http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/ Psalm 1: The Fruitful Tree. I just finished the second lesson, which took me about one week! (Normally, a lesson takes me 20-30 minutes). The lesson was not really that long; just challenging. I would read part of the lesson, then answer a question; but, my response (or lack of one) would make me think a lot about where I currently am--and where I need to be.

Also, I would open up my computer Bible (http://www.onlinebible.net/ ; which to me is one of the best Bible programs out there for the money) and look up the different passages that the lesson referred to…then there was more reflection. Along with this, I decided that I would not do certain things (like look at myspace) until I completed each lesson and journal about it…

As short as this Psalm is, it is packed with power…but only if we accept and apply the Truths found here. But for most of us, the Godly counsel of this Psalm is simply too radical for our comfortable, complacent lives. If one really and truly tried to live out this Psalm, they would probably be looked at as "too heavenly minded for earthly good". And the majority of criticism would probably be 'friendly fire' from fellow Christians!

I am still contemplating the word 'blessed'. I am convinced that most of the time I hear that word, it is not as God intended. The Bible dictionary says that the word 'blessed' found here, simply means, "happy". However, it comes from a root word which means, "to go straight, walk, go on, advance, make progress".

For now, I want to simply remember that happiness, walking straight, advancing, and making progress in God, is a completely different thing than when those same terms are applied to our everyday earthly lives…
With all of that in mind…

Psalm 1
1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
4 The ungodly are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

No comments: